North Texas Municipal Water District
The NTMWD was created in 1951 to serve a group of member cities north and east of the City of Dallas. The District is authorized to acquire, treat, and distribute potable water, and to collect, treat, and dispose of wastes, both liquid and solid, in order to reduce pollution, conserve, and develop the natural resources of Texas. The region served by NTMWD has experienced unprecedented growth, and providing reliable, sustainable water supplies has been a priority for the District.
The East Fork Raw Water Supply Project, which began operation in 2009, has the capacity to augment the District’s drinking water supply with up to 102,000 acre-feet per year (91 million gallons per day) of water. Source water for the project is treated water from wastewater treatment facilities owned by the District or District water customers that discharge to the East Fork of the Trinity River downstream of the District’s main surface water supply, Lavon Lake.
The project diverts return flows from the East Fork Trinity River and uses a constructed wetland to provide polishing treatment, including nutrient removal, to the water before it is pumped 41 miles, where it is discharged at the upper end of Lavon Lake. Water from the project blends with other District supplies and is eventually diverted from the lake and treated at the District’s water treatment plant in Wylie, Texas.