Management Model for Trade Waste Discharges to Small Treatment Plants (including PRELIM VERSION 4.0 Users Guide)
This report was produced for the Urban Water Research Association of Australia, a now discontinued research program.
Report no. UWRAA 51
‘PRELIM’ is a steady state model designed to protect the particular treatment plant under study and can be run on an IBM compatible PC utilising a DOS operating environment. The program can estimate the maximum allowable loads of various pollutants from industries that can be accommodated by a treatment facility, whilst ensuring plant compliance with the applicable disposal criteria which may limit each pollutant.
Users can select the treatment processes, disposal criteria and inhibition data to suit their particular application. The program also incorporates extensive default value data bases for process removal efficiencies, inhibition data and various industry effluent characteristics, although system specific data available through sampling and analytical programs are recommended for more accurate results. After making allowance for domestic contributions and safety/future growth factors, the model can compare estimated available pollutant loads with actual measured industrial trade waste discharges.
A major outcome of this project is the development of the enhanced trade waste management tool, labelled PRELIM Version 4.0 which includes PRELIM Version 3.0 as a sub-program, together with the following administrative capabilities:
– To store and edit reference details of industries having trade waste agreements with the authority.
– To store and edit details of charging formulae associated with each trade waste agreement.
– To make global amendments to the charging bases associated with all trade waste agreements stored in the package.
– To record analytical results from sampling programs associated with those industries subject to trade waste agreements.
– To monitor industry inspection scheduling for the authority.
– To generate various reports on the stored information.
– To generate invoices for trade waste charging from the trade waste data stored in the package.
Additionally, a Users Guide for the PRELIM Version 4.0 package has been produced.
The PRELIM Version 3.0 model was also further calibrated for the extended aeration lagoon treatment and the biofiltration processes.