PRELIM User’s Guide (Amended): Australian Version
This report was produced for the Urban Water Research Association of Australia, a now discontinued research program.
Report no. UWRAA 19
Under Urban Water Research Association of Australia Research Project No. SS-43 Camp Scott Furphy Pty. Ltd. and the Mornington Peninsula & District Water Board have adapted the US EPA PRELIM program, to produce a computer based model, relevant to Australian conditions, and capable of estimating the impact of trade wastes on treatment systems.
The changes involved in adapting the model for Australian conditions are summarised as follows:
– Replacement of US terminology with Australian terminology
– Conversion of the program to run on SI metric units
– Expansion and revision of the default pollutants schedule and databases to more closely reflect Australian conditions
– Expansion of the model to allow for inhibition in trickling filter plants
– Modification of the output routines to allow more efficient use of computer facilities and more convenient operation in the installation/calibration and operational phases.
As part of the revision, the model was calibrated and tested for three plants operated by the Mornington Peninsula & District Water Board. The plants involved were Mornington, Frankston and Lyndhurst, which include the following treatment processes: activated sludge, primary sedimentation, trickling filters, polishing ponds, lagoons, anaerobic digestion and sludge lagoons.
The Users Guide has been revised to include the above features and the modified program codes.